ARROGANCE – conceit, haughtiness, egotism, superiority, pride, overconfidence, superciliousness, self-importance, condescension
HUMILITY – the cure for arrogance
Which will it be? Which am I? Arrogant or humble in my faith walk? How about you?
Here’s the quiz:
- Do I pridefully share my unsolicited testimony with strangers?
- Do I believe my concept of God is the only valid belief and that only those like me are ‘saved’?
- Do I deride other religions?
- Do I believe only those who profess the New Testament ‘road to salvation’ will know an eternity?
- Do I believe Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindi, even Christian sects other than mine are ‘lost’ and will burn in hell?
- Do I believe it is my duty to defend the God which I understand even to the point of warfare and murder?
- Do I believe it is righteous to murder those providing abortion or those receiving abortion knowing by heart the 10 Commandments and “thou shalt not kill”?
- Do I believe my government ought to be governed by Christian principles?
- Do I believe the Judeo-Christian scriptures are infallible and inerrant?
- Do I interpret every verse and passage of those scriptures literally?
- Do I believe non-believers deserve my scorn and derision?
- Would I help a destitute refugee of another creed, faith, or race?
Would I recognize Jesus, the Christ, if He were standing in front of me in the guise of a starving child from Yemen, a 14 year-old Honduran girl pregnant by rape, a young family fleeing persecution in Syria, a ghetto black man from Chicago addicted to drugs, a homeless woman living in the nearby woods?
Would I? Would you? The Christian world celebrates the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth this week. What’s hanging on my personal cross, on yours? Arrogance, maybe? Will we resurrect into the man or woman whom the universal God of all mankind designed us to be?
(There is only one correct answer to the questions in the above quiz – humility)