I had another post prepared to share, but a more pressing issue blipped onto my radar screen and I believe this post from a while back is appropriate for today’s religious dialog. 🙏
via let’s try Christianity
“Imagine no heaven or hell….and no religion, too. You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.” JOHN LENNON
ARROGANCE – conceit, haughtiness, egotism, superiority, pride, overconfidence, superciliousness, self-importance, condescension
HUMILITY – the cure for arrogance
Which will it be? Which am I? Arrogant or humble in my faith walk? How about you?
Here’s the quiz:
- Do I pridefully share my unsolicited testimony with strangers?
- Do I believe my concept of God is the only valid belief and that only those like me are ‘saved’?
- Do I deride other religions?
- Do I believe only those who profess the New Testament ‘road to salvation’ will know an eternity?
- Do I believe Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindi, even Christian sects other than mine are ‘lost’ and will burn in hell?
- Do I believe it is my duty to defend the God which I understand even to the point of warfare and murder?
- Do I believe it is righteous to murder those providing abortion or those receiving abortion knowing by heart the 10 Commandments and “thou shalt not kill”?
- Do I believe my government ought to be governed by Christian principles?
- Do I believe the Judeo-Christian scriptures are infallible and inerrant?
- Do I interpret every verse and passage of those scriptures literally?
- Do I believe non-believers deserve my scorn and derision?
- Would I help a destitute refugee of another creed, faith, or race?
Would I recognize Jesus, the Christ, if He were standing in front of me in the guise of a starving child from Yemen, a 14 year-old Honduran girl pregnant by rape, a young family fleeing persecution in Syria, a ghetto black man from Chicago addicted to drugs, a homeless woman living in the nearby woods?
Would I? Would you? The Christian world celebrates the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth this week. What’s hanging on my personal cross, on yours? Arrogance, maybe? Will we resurrect into the man or woman whom the universal God of all mankind designed us to be?
(There is only one correct answer to the questions in the above quiz – humility)
(reference links for this article)
*FAMILY RESEARCH COUNCIL
*AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION
THE PRAY IN JESUS NAME PROJECT
NATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR MARRIAGE
The groups listed above would appear to be benign, American-values organizations dedicated to advancement of spiritual principles and family affairs. In truth, they are poster children for bigoted, intolerant religionists. These groups are on the watch list of the SPLC (Southern Poverty Law Center). All are considered to be anti-LGBT+. The three with asterisks are listed as LGBT+ hate groups.
All came forward with statements praising Trump’s transgender ban. Their agenda is obvious and their methods and scare tactics are in line with the man who won the White House with their endorsement. They have put a justice on the SCOTUS giving the evangelical Christian movement the necessary clout to repeal a woman’s right to choose and the marriage equality Amendment. You’ve heard them on radio, television, and internet whining about the persecution Christians are suffering at the hand of a liberal, hell-bent population.
Link to the SPLC website to learn more about hatred in the good ole USA.